How to Pack for a West Coast Day Trip
At the end of November I had my first business, day trip down the West Coast. I left from Portland for Los Angeles at 6 a.m. and was on my way back within 12 hours. Packing for this felt strange. I didn’t know what to pack or wear. I needed to carry light-weight essentials in case I had to stay the night plus wear an outfit that would look fresh for my meetings after flight. So, here’s a few tips that I learned from my jet setting day trip:
- Layer up – When it’s 50 degrees and raining in the Pacific Northwest, it might be 75 degrees and sunny in Southern California. Layers will help you weather the changes in a matter of hours.
- Avoid wrinkles – Avoid wrinkles by wearing trousers that will handle sitting for two-three hours in flight. You’ll want to look fresh for your meeting when you land.
- Freshen up - Bring some light make up and your toothbrush to freshen up at the airport before your meetings.
- Bring back up – You never know when your flight will be canceled and you’ll have to stay the night, unplanned and away from home. So, bring some extra undergarments for an unexpected day two.
When I went on my trip, I needed a single outfit that would double as a West Coast winter and spring. So, I wore some high-waisted trousers, a light polka-dotted button-up, a heavier tweed blazer and some comfortable Ivonka Trump flats. I was able to take off my jacket in order to accommodate the climate change. Plus, an oversized tote helped me carry all the necessary essentials to get me through the day and an extra one if necessary.
Additional essentials for your tote:
- Laptop and charger
- Phone and charger
- Light make-up to freshen look
- Change of undergarments
- Wallet essentials
That’s all you need for a quick trip down the coast!